Spanish Mackerel with a Almond butter|Tomato sauce
This recipe serves 2 to 3 portions-
I Mackerel-about 16-18 oz. cut into steaks (roughly 5-6 pieces without head and tail or use it to make a stock)
1 tomato-cut into about 8 pieces (redial cut) Separate to slivers to use as a garnish
1 small onion (roast in oven whole skin and all)
½ a lemon-for marinate
1-2 tsp. Seafood spice blend– it is a hot spice blend so adjust accordingly you may add more if you can handle the heat.
3Tsp. olive oil
1Tsp. almond butter
1-2tsp.sea salt or according to your taste
2 Tsp. fish stock or substitute water if you like.
2 mint leaves for garnish (optional)
Marination for the Spanish Mackerel. Spice blend, fresh lemon juice and seasalt
Marination for the Spanish Mackerel. Spice blend, fresh lemon juice and sea-salt and place in the refrigerator
1. Marinate the pieces of mackerel by squeezing fresh lemon; add sea salt and the ¾-1 tsp. of seafood blend and place in the refrigerator of about 1 hour.
Radial cut your tomatoes and with a whole onion place in the oven
2. While the fish is marinating, take the radial cut tomatoes add ¾ tsp. of salt and ¾-1 tsp. of seafood spice blend and oven roast in a 350°oven for about 45 minutes. Place the whole onion with skin and all and oven roast at the same time. Keep 2 slivers of the radial cut tomatoes for garnish. Cut into 6 cubes.
3. After you pull the tomatoes and onion from the oven, peel off the skin and discard. Take the onions and mash with the roasted tomatoes. Set a side 1 or 2 layers of the roasted onion for garnish. Slice the onions.
4. Under a low flame add about 2 Tsp. of water or fish stock and mash into a paste, preparing a nice thick pourable constancy.
Remove the skin of the onion, after saving a few layers for the roasted onion for garnish combine with oven roasted tomatoes to a chunky saucy consistency and finish of with almond butter.
Fry your steaks of fish in butter and olive oil
5. Finish off the sauce by adding the almond butter. Stir till all is incorporated.
6. Heat a sauté pan and add 2 Tsp. of oil and 1 Tsp. of butter and fry the fish. Cook for 1 ½ minutes to 2 minutes on each side. Basically nicely brown on each side. PLEASE DON’T OVER COOK. 2 minutes on each side should be enough.
Finish off frying by adding the finished sauce.
7. Add the sauce to your fish and simmer for less than 1 minute.
8. Finish off your plate as seen in the photograph.
Serve with your choice of vegetables and rice.
Spanish Mackerel plated